Friday, April 1, 2011

Sara Booth 1964 - 2011 My Aunt

It's always terrible when someone close to you dies. You don't always know how to react, a family member that you've been out of touch with for many years is always difficult to show any kind of emotion. I did love my aunt. As a child she must have been my most favorite person in the world. Like most of my family she wasn't always around alot, but it was always great when I got to see her. I was her sister's son and when your mother is 14 when she gives birth to you, for a younger sister who is your aunt you become closer than just a nephew you're more like a friend and a little brother yourself. Not alot but a decent amount of who I am can be attributed to my aunt Sara, my love of all things horror for starters can be attributed to her, staying up late and watching Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, the classics, those were movies from her teenage years adn she watched them over and over, particularly Friday, for she was born on Friday the 13th and that has been my favorite slasher series for as long as I can remember. It didn't matter what holiday she stayed over for or any random visit, she'd throw on a horror movie and usually it was House of Wax or Hellraiser, maybe she even picked up some random direct to video horror movie from Star Video up the street, that's where my horror knowledge begins. Sadly though she may have created my fear of driving. She loved off-roading and driving fast when she could and like the good aunt (Maybe even to a fault) she always wanted me along for the fun, I may have been to young to enjoy it for I was always scared, everytime we went out to four wheel or if she hit the gas maybe even a little too much. But let's not talk about the bad things. Some of my favorite memories are with her, practically every other weekend she would take us skating (My siblings or my friend Ian) roller skating at what used to be known as King Skate. I honestly hated doing that too because it was a learning experience everytime, but after awhile I got into the hang of skating and hit the rink instead of playing the simpsons arcade game or only skating on the carpeted area. What I remember most is how she loved the fast skate and the song," Look out Weekends, " by Debbie Deb. On halloweens she always did the cheap do it yourself costumes and I was along for the ride. Her favorite football team was the Oakland Raiders and as soon as I knew what that meant they were my favorite too and still to this day I am, in this nation of Raider haters that is known as Reno, NV. She loved doing things, all kinds of things, didn't matter what, she loved just going out and getting ice cream or watching christmas lights or just anything that was fun. Most of the time I hated going out (Have I really changed that much) but usually when Sara wanted to do something I went or I would only do something if she was too. So many memories and this post is going on far too long as it is, but she always loved me and let me know, with a tiny gift or just a letter that she would send, even if it wasn't from the most encouraging of places. She loved my Fire Marshall Bill impression and I always would do it on command, I would do it now if it could bring her back. I'm sorry sge left us, I wish it wasn't the way she chose to do it most especially. I love you Auntie. Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers